Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Very Good Week

When running, there are times when every step of every mile is a challenge.

There are workouts so uneventful and ordinary that even reviewing your running log sparks no memory.

And then there are the runs like I’ve had this week.

It started Tuesday evening, running home from the office in Herald Square across town to 1st Avenue - past the United Nations Building and over the Queensboro Bridge before turning north to Astoria.

It was cold. It was dark. And neither mattered.

Traffic lights seemed to sense my approach and turn green. Tourists gawked and locals stepped aside. My pace and perceived effort were spot on – that fine line between speed and sustainability.

I arrived home energized and in less time than if I’d taken if I’d taken the Subway.

Thursday morning I woke at 5:45am and was at the track before sunrise. One mile warm up at an easy pace. Then 3 x 1 mile intervals (6:15, 6:18, 6:17) and finally a mile cool down. All followed by some core strength training.

At 5:45am the alarm sounded again on Friday morning. Peering out the window into the darkness rain poured down. Augh! I don’t want to run in that mess…

Then I remembered that just because I haven’t used it in months, I do still have a gym membership. So off I went and knocked out a solid 10k while fantasizing about being a rock star as jam after jam came up on my iPod.

Today I’ll head out for an easy 5 miler and tomorrow I’ll go long – it’s supposed to be wicked cold.

Awesome.

"Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values.”
-Ayn Rand

2 comments:

E said...

Sounds like your off to a great start this year! Keep it up and you'll be a rock star before you know it :-)

Rich said...

That's a helluva start to training! Awesome!