“What the hell is a Twitter?”
According to the Twitter website, it is a free “service for friends, family and co-workers to communicate…” and is used by the LA Fire Department as well as presidential hopefuls John Edwards and Barack Obama.
Like you, I was completely in the dark until The Ubster and The Crew introduced me on New Years Eve. After a couple glasses of fine red wine I finally got it and began following a few people, including The Geek of Everything (*except home pool maintenance) who incidentally provided the quote for this post.
Since, I've become somewhat addicted to Twittering - known as Tweetaholism.
In short, Twitter is good for:
- Sending brief, concise and relevant text messages
- Sending quick inane or irrelevant text messages
- Communicating information to a group
- Wasting time
- Driving up your mobile phone bill with loads of SMS messaging
- Communicating complex thoughts or instructions
- Communicating directly with an individual
- Workplace productivity
- Participating in or following dialogue via a mobile device while driving or operating heavy machinery
“Man's mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to its original dimensions.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.