Friday, March 30, 2007

I've Just Gotta Tri This

A few of you have already guessed it... I've gone and signed myself up for a triathlon. The Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon is a Half Ironman distance and consists of a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and a 13.1 mile run.


I've looked over the results from last year but I honestly have no idea how I'll do or what my times will be like.

The swim will likely be my weakest event and is also the biggest variable for me. I fully anticipate crushing the bike leg.

Running a half marathon is never easy, particularly after swimming more than a mile in open water and biking 56 miles in the Adirondack Mountains. Despite these challenges I think I'll be able to muscle/heart out the run.

I'm not following nor have I found a formal training plan as of yet but I am working on all three sports. Any recommendations on training plans is welcome. I am also open to any recommended reading on biking and swimming technique.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

12 comments:

DebbieJRT said...

You nut! I recommend the podcast Get Your Geek On. I don't tri (and don't really plan on it) but I enjoy listening and learning about the sport. I have a healthy respect for anyone who participates.

Anonymous said...

That's crazy! Wanna borrow my Huffy, Speedo, and Crocs?

Ginger Breadman said...

Wow - that's ambitious! I thought I'd click on the tri link and find it scheduled at the end of summer, or in the fall - but June! I'm not sure if you're crazy, or I'm just jealous. I say, Go for it! If you've been cross-training, why not? Maybe stick a sprint tri in beforehand, just to get a feel for the exchanges and how you're legs are gonna feel. The Triathletes's Training Bible is a great resource book.

E said...

Right on! The best training tip I have learned is to keep things balanced when working on your first tri's. Too much focus on your weakest event can cause you to loose ground in your strongest event. 3 swims, 3 runs and 3 rides a week should get you there. Don't forget the brick workouts, they will help your legs through transitions :-)

Good Luck!!

Rich said...

Good luck man!

That's a powerful quote from MLK.

JustRun said...

I KNEW it! Of course you are. Good luck in training- starting out with a half IM is bold! Have fun with the bricks!

Deene said...

i hear all the cool kids are attempting a tri.

at my gym they are holding triathlon training programs for first timers including a session on each event and transition, maybe you can find one in your area.

the_ubster said...

This is much better then the "Open, Chug, Crush" Aluminum Can Triathlons you've been involved with in the past.

Phil said...

Congratulations on signing up for a tri ... and a hilly tri at that.

Anonymous said...

I try to do double workouts such as swim in the morning and run or bike at night. I save the longer bike rides for the weekends. Will discuss in person and plan w/o since there's a group of us. It makes it more enjoyable.
Janine

Stephanie said...

you're starting out hard!!! but hey YOU can do it!

Bridges Runner said...

Good luck!!!