Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Three and One Half Decades

If you pay attention, gaining wisdom is as simple as aging. Open your eyes and your ears and you learn a little along the way.

One of the things I’ve come to learn is that experiences always trump material goods. High-end electronic gadgetry quickly becomes outdated, fashionable clothing fades from style, and novelty items depreciate faster than new cars. By contrast, a great memory only appreciates over time.

My wife, in her infinite wisdom, has known this gem to be true most of her adult life. And she’s rewarded me with amazing experiences again and again and again.

I turned three and one half decades old recently and my bride has rewarded me with another experience that, I suspect, I’ll thoroughly enjoy and never forget… driving an open cockpit Indy race car at top speed around the Texas Motor Speedway!


Even though I have to wait until September (first available opportunity), I’m all geared up to speed around the track.

Not too dissimilar from the pace at which life is passing by…
"God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well."-Voltaire

No comments: