Monday, July 31, 2006

The Jump

Careful. There's a bit of a drop to that first step...

Several weeks ago Salena asked what I wanted for my birthday. I looked around our small cramped apartment and realized that I didn't want any "thing." I have all the electronic gadgets and gizmos a guy could ever want. Running attire fills our too-few shelves and closets and a seeming multitude of running shoes peek out from under the bed. I didn't want any "thing." I wanted an experience. I wanted to skydive.

On Sunday afternoon I jumped out of an airplane 13,500 feet above Calverton, NY.

Words such as "exhilarating," "amazing," "breathtaking," and "incredible" completely fail to adequately express the experience. The pictures speak for themselves...

Many thanks to Salena for getting me the perfect gift! Thank you also to my jumpmaster Dunk and cameraman Adam from Skydive Long Island - they are all complete professionals.

PS - The video is coming soon.

16 comments:

DebbieJRT said...

What a gift! I see you had a wonderful birthday - good on ya!!

the_ubster said...

You are a brave man Josh. Looks like it was a blast! I think I saw a poop in the air. Are you sure that wasn't you?

JustRun said...

That's awesome! Great idea.

Anonymous said...

That is AWESOME! Can't wait for the video!

Morrissey said...

holy shit - thats friggin' awesome josh! After checking out the pics, skydiving is now on my to-do list!

nyflygirl said...

that is sooo cool. skydiving has been on my "to-do someday" list for a very long time! what a great present. (i guess that's what you give to someone who already has everything :-D )

Deene said...

omg! that is so awesome. happy birthday!

Bridges Runner said...

Awesome! Love the photos...can't wait to see the video...

katesun said...

YOu are amazing !!! i can't wait for the video .

Unknown said...

How cool! A great story is always a much better gift than any material thing. Now the question is how she'll beat that next year...

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!

A little about me... said...

Great gift! You look like you really loved it. Glad you got lots of pics. Looking forward to the video. :)

Anonymous said...

Your new nickname is CRAY-Z! I think Joe will join you if you decide to go again.

Beanie said...

rather you than me, brave man!

Ginger Breadman said...

Oh, man, you are totally me hero, now! I am so jealous. I wanna do that now and my birthday is over. I love what air moving swiftly does to the skin on your face. :)

Rich said...

I'm glad to see you managed to keep your pants on. What an experience!