Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mojo Missing

A friend recently asked how my training was going for the Austin Marathon"Lousy" was perhaps the most fitting answer.

Sure, the Dallas Half went swimmingly but my training plan and resolve completely fell apart after the race. I ran only twice in the two weeks that followed the half marathon. I just couldn’t conjure up the resolve to strap on the Asics. Blame for my marathon training doldrums can be attributed to a hectic work schedule and holiday obligations but the real culprit is a lack of motivation. Put simply, my running mojo was a no show.

Santa delivered a new GPS-enabled running watch (product review to follow) and some much needed inspiration. I managed a few good runs as the final days of 2010 slipped into history.

My training was just getting back on track when I pulled my calf muscle in early January. In essence I've been out of commission for well over a month!

My calf seems to be on the mend but I’m at a loss for what to do about Austin. As I see it my options are to:
  1. Drop out
  2. Switch to the half marathon
  3. Suck it up and do the full marathon
Each option has its pros and cons… Dropping out would be easy but who wants to be a quitter? Moving over to the half is probably the rational option but how many rational distance runners do you know? Going the full distance opens up the possibility of further injury but also brings the most satisfaction.

“In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments: