Saturday, August 21, 2010

Oy, What A Week

This morning I got up to go for a brick. For the uninitiated, a brick is a workout specific to the sport of triathlon, and combines any two of the three disciplines (swim/bike/run) into one workout. Brutal!

After punching the snooze button in the face for or five times I finally put my feet on the floor. Of course the dog wanted to go for a walk. So bleary-eyed and wobbly I found the leash and opened the door to... THE MOST GOD AWFUL SOUND IMAGINABLE!

Blundering, sleep deprived fool that I am, I forgot to disarm the house alarm. Needless to say I woke everyone up. And the ferocious guard dog? Vapor trail. Found him cowering under the bed some time later.

As for the workout, well, the bike went okay - put in about 23 miles at an average pace of 18 MPH. On the other hand, the run was terrible, a measly 4 miles at a pace of nearly 10 minutes per mile! I just didn't have it in me -- I'm chalking it up to a fatigue cocktail of equal parts:
  • sleep deprivation
  • heat
  • humidity
  • donating blood
Seriously, I hope I bounce back here because it's getting ugly. Aside from setting off the burglar alarm I've:
  • Walked into a wall
  • Poured a cup of coffee, then put the coffee pot in the cupboard and the coffee cup on the warmer. I actually did this and walked away empty handed!
  • Spilled a cup of coffee (different day from prior bullet)
  • Leaving trail of lights and appliances turned on
  • Went the wrong way on a one-way street
Must get more sleep...

"The bed is a bundle of paradoxes: we go to it with reluctance, yet we quit it with regret; we make up our minds every night to leave it early, but we make up our bodies every morning to keep it late."
-Charles Caleb Colton

No comments: